The Legal team consists of five lawyers, servicing a business of over 1500 employees. It performs a varied role for the business which includes contract review, negotiation and drafting, maintaining and overseeing the company’s insurance programmes, corporate and company secretarial, and overseeing all litigation activities.
We are seeking to recruit a paralegal to support the team. Primarily your focus will be supporting the Commercial business lines (Commercial Markets, Property Management, Professional Services), but you will provide support across all business lines as required on a case-by-case basis.
The size of the team by comparison to the business means that you will receive greater exposure to a broader range of issues than may be the case in a larger more segmented team. Whilst you will be part of a collegiate and supportive team that will readily offer you their time to discuss issues, it is important that you are confident in assessing the material in front of you to make an informed decision. Our ability to respond to the business and its clients in a manner that is professional, prompt and pragmatic is key to the business, its clients and to the success of the integration of the Legal team within the broader business. The post-holder must be approachable, have contract law experience and be keen to develop professionally.
Contract Review and Negotiations
You will undertake reviews of and advise upon a wide range of contracts (including bids) either on your own or in conjunction with one of the other members of the team. In doing so you will be responsible for providing prompt, commercially focussed, pragmatic and strategic advice. You will have close regard at all times to the risk exposure of the company arising from such contracts whilst seeking to maximise the company’s competitive advantage.
You will support the various integration projects being implemented following the acquisition. This will include concluding the novation of the legacy Strutt & Parker contracts from the LLP to BNPPRE relating to the Commercial business lines. This will involve working closely with the Integration team and the relevant Business Lines to ensure that novation agreements have been issued to clients with appropriate supporting documentation are monitored and returned executed and completed in the proper form.
You will assist the fee earning teams to resolve any commercial disputes that arise from time to time in a manner that seeks to maintain and enhance client relationships.
You will assist in the maintenance of the Company’s contract database to ensure that copies and accurate details of all contracts are available promptly.
Ensuring the ongoing development of the Legal Department and its integration into the business is essential. As a consequence you will be proactive in:
· Building and developing relationships across the business
· Recommending and implementing processes and systems designed to improve the efficiency and performance of the Legal Department
· Enhancing your own legal, financial, commercial and technical expertise
· Works independently on most areas of work under regular management monitoring
· Enhances the Legal Team’s and BNP Paribas Real Estate‘s reputation through successful delivery
· Builds own network within business lines
Systems and Process
· Responsible for proposing, developing and managing new and improvements to processes and procedures
· Can identify and promote improvements to business processes within the Legal team
· Qualifying degree (II(i) or higher) from a university in a common law jurisdiction
· good level of a experience as a paralegal with solid commercial experience
· Previous experience of an in-house legal department or other commercial organisation would be desirable
· Completed LPC (Commendation or above) or BVC
· Strong interest in legal developments
· An enquiring mindset
· Willingness to tackle new/unfamiliar matters
· Desire to learn and develop professionally
· Commercially focussed and pragmatic
· Excellent communication skills
· Confident and reasoned negotiator
BNP Paribas Real Estate is proud to be an inclusive employer, as recognised by our RICS Inclusive Employer status and the Stonewall Equality Index.