This is a key and varied role within the Company. The post-holder will be the Legal Team member with responsibility for the Residential Agency and Rural business lines (which between them have a turnover of circa £75 million) and will build and maintain productive working relationships at all levels throughout these business lines. The post-holder will be approachable with a solid grounding in key areas but will also enjoy the challenge of new and unfamiliar areas.
The integration programme also continues to be a major project following the acquisition; it is of particular relevance to the Residential Agency and Rural business lines which are new activities to BNP Paribas Real Estate in the UK. The post-holder will work with the Integration team and the Legal Director to deliver various integration and other projects arising from the acquisition.
Contract Review and Negotiations
You will undertake reviews of and advise upon a wide range of contracts (including bids) to support the business and will be responsible for providing prompt, commercially focussed, pragmatic and strategic advice. You will have close regard at all times to the risk exposure of the company arising from such contracts whilst seeking to maximise the company’s competitive advantage. As the Rural and Residential Agency business lines are “new” to BNP Paribas Real Estate and are spread over a wide geographical area, it will be key that you service these activities in a manner that encourages them to develop strong interaction with the Legal team, and regular travel to the relevant offices will be encouraged.
You will (as appropriate) lead, support, and manage various integration projects as part of the broader integration programme. This will include concluding the novation of the legacy Strutt & Parker contracts from the LLP to BNPPRE relating to the Residential Agency and Rural business lines. This will involve working closely with the Integration team and the relevant Business Lines to ensure that novation agreements are issued to clients with appropriate supporting documentation, are monitored and returned executed and completed in the proper course.
Research and Legal Knowledge
You will lead the Legal team’s knowledge management, maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of legal and regulatory developments. This will include amending the business’s standard terms and conditions as well as providing regular and engaging training to team, to ensure that its advice to the business is current, correct, relevant and commercially pragmatic.
You will work with the fee earning teams to resolve any commercial disputes that arise from time to time in a manner that seeks to maintain and enhance client relationships.
The post-holder may be asked to provide assistance in resolving issues and queries arising from the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulations following their implementation in May 2018.
You will assist in the maintenance of the Company’s contract database to ensure that copies and accurate details of all contracts are available promptly.
Holiday Cover and Other Absence
During any absences of members of the Legal team you will deputise to ensure the continued smooth running of the department and ensure that a high standard of service delivery is maintained.
Ensuring the ongoing development of the Legal Department and its integration into the business is essential. As a consequence you will be proactive in:
· Building and developing relationships across the business, its clients and its suppliers; and
· Recommending and implementing processes and systems designed to improve the efficiency and performance of the Legal Department;
· Enhancing your own legal, financial, commercial and technical expertise.
· Has an interest in and awareness of the budgets of the business and the Legal team
· Develops and manages existing client/supplier relationships at a senior level on a day-to-day basis
· Works independently on most areas of work under regular management monitoring
· Receives guidance only on unusual issues
· Has broad knowledge of principles and practices of related disciplines
· Enhances BNP Paribas Real Estate‘s reputation through successful delivery
· Builds own network within business lines and externally
· The successful candidate will not have direct responsibility for any staff but as a member of a small team will be expected to be proactive in the development of the team’s expertise
· Co-ordinates colleagues and others on specific projects
· Shares knowledge with/ provides information to colleagues and team
Systems and Process
· Responsible for proposing, developing and managing new and improvements to processes and procedures
· Can identify and promote improvements to business processes within the Legal team
· Qualifying degree (II(i) or higher) from a university in a common law jurisdiction
· Completed LPC (Commendation or above) or BVC
· Post-qualification experience with solid commercial experience (including familiarity with the law of (estate) agency)
· Previous experience of an in-house legal department or other large commercial organisation in the property or other similar sector
· A genuine and on-going interest in the housing market and rural affairs
· Strong interest in legal developments and the property sector generally
· An enquiring mindset
· Willingness to tackle new/unfamiliar matters
· Desire to learn and develop professionally
· Concise and clear drafting
· Commercially focussed and pragmatic
· Excellent communication skills
· Good negotiation abilities
BNP Paribas Real Estate is proud to be an inclusive employer, as recognised by our RICS Inclusive Employer status and the Stonewall Equality Index.